- Penicillin antibacterial
- Severe bacterial infections: septicaemia, meningitis, pneumonia, pyelonephritis, postpartum upper genital tract infection, severe cutaneous anthrax, etc., alone or in combination with other antibacterials, depending on indication
Forms and strengths, route of administration
- Powder for injection, in 500 mg and 1 g vials, to be dissolved in 5 ml of water for injection
- Prefer administration by slow IV injection (3 to 5 minutes) or IV infusion (30 minutes) in 0.9% sodium chloride or 5% glucose for high doses; use IM route only if correct IV administration is not possible.
- In neonates, administer only by slow IV injection or IV infusion.
Severe bacterial infections, in combination with other antibacterials
The dose varies according to indication:
- 0 to 7 days (< 2 kg): 50 to 100 mg/kg every 12 hours
- 0 to 7 days (≥ 2 kg): 50 to 100 mg/kg every 8 hours
- 8 days to < 1 month: 50 to 100 mg/kg every 8 hours
- Child 1 month and over: 50 to 100 mg/kg every 8 hours
- Adult: 1 to 2 g every 6 to 8 hours (2 g every 4 hours in meningitis)
Severe cutaneous anthrax, in combination with clindamycin
- Child 1 month and over: 50 mg/kg (max. 3 g) every 6 hours or 65 mg/kg (max. 4 g) every 8 hours
- Adult: 3 g every 6 hours or 4 g every 8 hours
For administration by IV infusion, dilute each dose of ampicillin in 5 ml/kg of 0.9% sodium chloride or 5% glucose in children less than 20 kg and in a bag of 100 ml of 0.9% sodium chloride or 5% glucose in children 20 kg and over and in adults.
- According to indication and clinical response. Change to oral treatment as soon as possible with amoxicillin or a combination of antibacterials, depending on indication.
Contra-indications, adverse effects, precautions
- Do not administer to patients with infectious mononucleosis (risk of skin eruption) or to penicillin allergic patients.
- Administer with caution to patients allergic to cephalosporins (cross-sensitivity may occur) or patients with severe renal impairment (reduce dosage).
- May cause: skin eruption, gastrointestinal disturbances, allergic reactions sometimes severe.
- Do not combine with methotrexate (increased methotrexate toxicity).
- Pregnancy: no contra-indication
- Breast-feeding: no contra-indication
- Do not mix with another drug in the same syringe or infusion.
- Injectable amoxicillin is used for the same indications.
Once reconstituted, the solution must be used immediately.